Sunday, February 17, 2008

you gotta love being a mom


A couple days ago I took the kids and went to Wal-Mart. The reason why I was insane enough to take the kids grocery shopping at Wal-Mart was because we all needed to get out of the house. So I thought to myself....we can get out of the house and get something done that I need to get done, even though it will probably be worse then staying home and going stir crazy. I weighed my options....gave myself a pep talk that went a little something like this. "Who's the mom?" "I'm the mom!!" And off we went. Well, the funniest thing happened there in front of the yogurt aisle. The tallest man came walking by and I looked at Sadie who was staring at this man with eyes wide open. STARING. Would not look away and then I look at the man. I am sure that Sadie and I had a similar face because this man was TALL. He was smiling and waved at Sadie, I am sure he knew why she was looking at him. I just kind of smiled at the guy and then hurried and walked away. Sadie then asked me, "why is that man so big?" We were luckily far enough away that he didn't hear us (I think) and I silently laughed...REALLY hard...if that is possible. I said that he is just a tall man, some people are tall and some are short. It was just so cute because Sadie has never really done anything like that before and I wasn't prepared for it. Kids are so honest and so curious, they just say whatever is on their minds.

Then we get to the checkout and by this time Parker has had it and he is crying. Well, the guy checking us out doesn't take note at all that my kid is crying and maybe he should try and get this done a little quicker. No he doesn't. He does the opposite, which is.....begins to tell me that we should buy as many balloons as we can because the helium that we get from Texas is getting low and we aren't going to have any soon. The checker obviously can't multi task, bless his heart. He doesn't scan my groceries while he talks to me....which I am clearly not paying attention to him, I am more trying to get my crying child to hush so that the lady across the way will stop looking at me saying "aaww, we have a tired baby, don't we?" So it took a long time. I finally got out a box of crackers that I had just bought and I gave Parker some of those and all was well. I try and do my grocery shopping when Tyler is home and I can leave the kids, but when you are out of apples and chicken and that is your baby's main source of food (not really, but almost!) you do what you have to do.

9 comments:

Kat said...

Funny story :) I can totally picture the checker you mentioned.... like you want to hear all that stuff... and for him to be so slow!

Unknown said...

haha...what a fun story! It has to happen at Walmart of course!! Bless those checkers hearts.

Lisa said...

seriously, i am leaving to go to walmart with my kids as soon as ava finishes her snack. reading this just got me really pumped. nothing i love to do more than grocery shop with my kids.

Heidi P said...

Now isn't that just the eptomie of Walmart for you! Every time I go there it seems my one of my kids lost a shoe, or pee's thier pants, or is totally messy. I just think, its appropriate for Walmart, we will just fit in. It is the craziest place ever. I hate grocery shopping, and Walmart. Every time I go to Walmart, I think 'why did't I go to Target!?'

The Stanley's said...

Hilarious! True that there's no such thing as quick errands when you have kids-ESPECIALLY at Walmart! Loved your 'pep talk' :)

Brittany said...

That's a cute story! Sadie is so dang cute and she did such a good job on her prayer in primary on Sunday. I get so frustrated at Wal-Mart because of the long lines and I don't have a kid so I can only imagine how annoyed you were.:)

Emily said...

That was too funny. I can totally relate to the "pep talk."

Danielle said...

I have many a story from wal-mart...I just keep my ongoing walmart funny story list and laugh about it with friends...gotta love the place

Melissa said...

This is a great story and one of the reasons I have boycotted the Walmart again! Do the HyVee in CB next time. MUCH NICER and I feel human when I am there. OR call your frienly neighbor to watch your children. :)